Changing Your Address? Here’s What You Need To Tell The DVLA

When you change address, you must inform the Driver and Vehicle Licencsing Agency (DVLA). Here’s what they need to know…

The DVLA and Your Address

When you change your address you must, by law, inform the DVLA. This is because it’s used for the likes of your driving licence, direct debit mandate and vehicle logbook (otherwise known as your V5C). It’s also relevant when it comes to the likes of trailer registration documents or personalised number registration plates. That said, you don’t need to notify them if you’re only making a temporary move and can still be contacted via a personal address.

Failing to update the DVLA can see you facing eye-watering fines of up to £1,000.

Driving Licences 

When it comes to your driving licence, your address must always be kept up to date; whether it’s full or provisional. Informing the DVLA doesn’t entail any charges and, crucially, you can continue to drive whilst you wait for them to update your details.

The fastest way of updating your details is online via the DVLA’s website. In order to do this you’ll need a valid licence and be a resident of the UK. In addition, you’ll need to provide the details of the places you’ve lived for the last three years; and you can’t have been banned from driving. You’ll also need the likes of your National Insurance and passport details to hand.

Vehicle Log Book (V5C)

It’s typically free to update the details of yuor vehicle logbook. That said, you won’t be able to do so if you’ve sold or transferred the ownership of your vehicle, if you’ve already registered it as a part of a fleet scheme or if your new address is in the Isle of Man, Ireland or the Channel Islands.

Trailer Registration Certificate 

If you want to use a trailer abroad, it’ll need to be registered to your new address. This applies to all trailers that weigh in excess of 3,500kg or commercial trailers that way more than 750kg.

Direct Debit 

Some people pay for their Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) via direct debit. If you do, you’ll need to contact the DVLA when moving, permanently, to somewhere new.

The Royal College Of Art Will Design ‘Landmark’ British EV Chargers –

AI Technology Deployed To Detect Disruptions On London’s Roads

The Autoserve Club can save you time, money and stress. Club Members can receive discounts on servicing and new tyres and will gain access to our professional 24/7 helpline. To learn more, contact our friendly Service Advisers on 0121 521 3500 today.

Share this with a friend !

Don't worry we don't spam

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

Autoserve Club
Enable registration in settings - general
Compare items
  • Total (0)