Driving In Europe Post-Brexit: Everything You Need To Know

After three years of debate and deliberation, Brexit has taken place; the UK is no longer a member of the European Union. But what does this mean for drivers visiting the continent? Here’s what you need to know…

Green Card

A ‘green card’ is essentially proof that you have the necessary insurance coverage to drive around the European Union. Your insurer is obligated to provide you with one. Usually, you simply need to give them a call and they’ll send you one in the post. Make sure to specify where you’ll be travelling to, so that the documentation is correct. Different EU member-states have different requirements; so make sure to tell your insurer which countries you’ll be travelling in (no matter how briefly it might be). Be aware that, as the name implies, green cards need to be printed on green paper. You must also have at least 15 day’s coverage left when entering the EU now that Brexit has taken place.

Car Accidents

When travelling to an EU member-state, make sure your insurer is prepared to contact European insurers in the event of an accident. They’ll need to be willing to do this if you want to make a claim. Pre-Brexit, you’d be able to get the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) to do this if your insurer wouldn’t. This will no longer be the case. This will, potentially, leave the unprepared dealing with a foreign insurance provider and (potentially) in a foreign language. In the past, the MIB kept a fund from which British motorists could draw in the event of being in an accident with an uninsured European motorist. It’s unlikely this will remain the case. So, if worse comes to worst, you could lose a lot of money,

Number Plates And Stickers

Currently, UK-registered vehicles are required to use an EU sticker at their rear (unless it has a Euro-plate bearing the EU flag and a GB symbol). Should Boris Johnson’s government fail to negotiate a free trade deal over the next eleven months, drivers may have to use the stickers even if they have the correct number plate. A small measure, but an extra job (and potentially expense) every time one crosses the English Channel.

Vehicle Registration Documents

It’s unlikely that the nation’s withdrawal from the EU will change rules concerning carrying registration documents around. You should continue with the practice of travelling with your V5C vehicle log book. If you’re using a UK-registered hire vehicle, you should also have a VE103 to prove you’re allowed to drive it abroad.

Trailer Registration

Post-Brexit, drivers are now required to register commercial trailers that weigh more than 750kg. They also need to register non-commercial trailers that weigh more than 3,500kg. They can’t be used in most EU and EEA states until registration is complete. You can register non-commercial trailers that weigh more than 750kg, but there’s absolutely no obligation to do this.

Driving Licenses For Expats 

The Department for Transport has officially advised British expats living in an EU country to swap their British driving license with a local one. As it stands, this swap is a relatively straightforward process. However, it’s likely this will change. As a result, those who don’t make the swap in time may be forced to take a driving test in their respective country. In addition, delaying a swap can cause significant delays and a large numbers of ‘swaps’ are anticipated post-Brexit.

International Driving Permits 

Pre-Brexit, British drivers weren’t obligated to use an International Driving Permit (IDP) when driving in the European Union; though it was recommended for some member-states, including Italy and Portugal. However, should negotiations fail to address the matter over the next year drivers may be forced to purchase one. An IDP is effectively a ‘translated’ version of your driving license, allowing foreign officials to determine your credentials. They cost £5.50 and can be purchased from post offices. Bear in mind, however, that an IDP isn’t a replacement or substitute for your original driving license; you’ll still need to keep it on your person.

Fuel Prices: What Would A No-Deal Brexit Mean For Them? – https://autoserveclub.co.uk/blog/brexit-fuel-prices/

‘Grave Concern’ As Car Production In The UK Reaches Nine-Year Low – https://autoserve.co.uk/motoring-news/grave-concern-as-car-production-in-the-uk-reaches-nine-year-low/

The Autoserve Club can save you time, money and stress. Club Members can receive huge fuel discounts, discounts on servicing and new tyres and access to our professional 24/7 helpline. To learn more, contact our friendly Service Advisers on 0121 521 3500 today.

Share this with a friend !

Don't worry we don't spam

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

Autoserve Club
Enable registration in settings - general
Compare items
  • Total (0)